Thursday, May 15, 2008
The Big Show is Next! Dah-nah-nah, Dah-nah-nah...
Thanks in large part to ESPN, the world of sports has never been the same. Aside from its 24-hour coverage of all things sports, the network helped produce a witty MSNBC anchor (Keith Olbermann) a raucous late night talk show host (Craig Kilborn), and a devoted Sports Illustrated journalist (Dan Patrick). With all sorts of goodness siphoned from the desks at Bristol, the network is best revered for the premiere showing in prime-time sports highlights: the illustrious Sportscenter, the program no man can go to bed without. By means of this hour-long show, sports fanatics have been exposed to brilliant commercials, oddball names (Trey Wingo, anyone?), boisterous personalities (Stephen A. Smith and Dick Vitale) and catchphrases that have invaded our vernacular. Posted here are the best one-liners Sportscenter has ever conveyed to its loyal viewing circles, complete with the anchors that originated them. Boo ya!
1. "Nothing but the bottom of the net." - Dan Patrick
2. "You can’t stop him. You can only hope to contain him." - Dan Patrick
3. "En fuego." - Dan Patrick
4. "As cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott
5. "He could go…all…the…way." - Chris Berman
6. "He’s not my vydas. He’s not your vydas. He’s Arvydas." - Craig Kilborn
7. "Release, rotation…SPLASH!" - Craig Kilborn
8. "YAHTZEE!" - Kenny Mayne
9. "They’re… not…gonna…get him." - Keith Olbermann
10. "And aloha means goodbye." - Larry Beil