Friday, June 6, 2008

Kiss them, they're Directors!

A good movie director is like the best ice cream sunday of all time-a little raspberry sauce, hot fudge, a brownie, whipped cream and a cherry. Worth savoring over and over, these directors hold places in our hearts and memories. Nostalgia just doesn't cut it when describing their films. These people hold my highest regards and much of my precious, precious time.

5. Steven Spielberg

If Jaws, Indiana Jones, Catch Me if You Can, Jurassic Park, Hook, and Schindler's list don't boil you up and put a fire in your furnace then you might consider rolling out from under that rock that has obviously fallen on your head. This man's creations punctuate my childhood and bring me back to simpler times when Hollywood was more innocent, slightly more ignorant, and when adventure was the name of the game.



4. Wes Anderson

If I went with my heart and not my rational mind which tells me it would becrazy to put Wes Anderson above Hitchcock and Kubrick, if I followed my gut and soul which cries out with joy every time I watch one of his movies, then Wes would be number one. After Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, and the Darjeeling Limited, I realized that with each new Wes Anderson film, my heart feels a little bit more whole. Cheers to you, Wes.


3. Stanley Kubrick

So Kubrick is an obvious choice, yes. Some may say cliche, but when we actually list all of his films together (Clockwork Orange, 2001: Space Odyssey, The Shining, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove) it just cannot be denied that this man is in and of himself a piece of cinematic history, and possibly a raging psychopath. A child with a bent index finger and creepy voice haunts my dreams still and the language of Clockwork Orange has disturbingly infiltrated our own. If Wes Anderson pulls at my heartstrings, then Stanley Kubrick pokes at my inner-maniac. Plus, can I just say in closing: Eyes Wide Shut= Crazy!


2. Martin Scorsese

I know it's a bit ballsy to put just anybody on this list before Alfred Hitchcock, but Marty is not just anybody. No, by all accounts he is one of the most innovative and stylish filmmakers in our lifetime.The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Taxi Driver, and The Departed are fabulous, gritty and character-driven to the point of insanity. And if you're looking for nostalgia and pure Bob Dylan beauty try No Direction Home on for size.

1. Alfred Hitchcock


This man had a talent for fulfilling all of our cinematic dreams in a classic and terrifying way. Psycho is one of my all-time favorite movies. People have revered his work since the 1930's but people like me discover his genius every day. If you haven't seen North by Northwest or The Birds I am delighted for you because you get to experience seeing them for the first time! Go on, you crazy kids, this your time! Alfred Hitchcock will change your view on what movies can be.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Kubrick FTW. You have such classics like Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, 2001, Full Metal Jacket, and others. And anyone who can make me like a Tom Cruise movie is genius, because he is insane.